Friday, September 7, 2007

Weekend Retreat

After a couple of posts containing no original material (but, of course, the selection and re-presentation of these sense-impressions is an original act of consciousness on my part!), I figure that I ought to give a personal update, as well.

Today marks the end of the third week of classes here. I am *close* to finishing a paper that I wanted to complete by the end of this week, but I don't think it's going to happen because I'm leaving on a retreat this weekend with some guys from TMC.

I'm not entirely sure what the retreat will involve, except outdoor camping and biking. Unfortunately, it looks like rain....

I had a very nice time last night having coffee with a friend here in Toledo (other than my wife). We both remarked how nice it was to have an intentional relationship where we are now in our lives. I'm very happy about this.

I'll probably say something about my retreat experience on my next post.

Happy Friday!

------

"He Himself is our Peace." (Eph 2)

1 comment:

M. Anderson said...

Thanks for the cartoon; it was highly amusing. Sigh, math was so much less turbulent, but I don't think that I could go back now.

Thanks also for the James recommendations. I picked up the anthology today and will start reading through it as a reprieve from Zen. Though actually, I've been reading recently about how Suzuki has been heavily influenced by James in his understanding of religious experience (which is a rather major category for him).

I'll post some more about the causation thesis of mine at some point (though maybe I'll need some prodding). It's based largely off of my idiosyncratic views on causation. At any rate, I think that the more you make cause and effect separate entities, the less you can explain causation. I'll also be pulling in some criticisms of philosophical explanations of causation by the Buddhist philosophers Nagarjuna and Candrakirti.