Saturday, September 22, 2007

Madeleine L'Engle

The Christian author, Madeleine L'Engle, died on the 6th of this month, I just found out.

Here is a tribute to L'Engle by her friend and editor Luci Shaw (published on christianitytoday.com). There are links at the bottom of this page including past CT interviews with L'Engle, her personal website, and a news release regarding her death in the NY Times.

The most memorable & meaningful books of L'Engle's I have read are:

  • A Wind in the Door
(this is the best one of the four I grew up on: the others are A Wrinkle in Time, Swiftly Tilting Planet, and Many Waters)
  • A Live Coal in the Sea
There are also some good things in Walking on Water, but this book never made my list of favorites.

------

"He Himself is our Peace." (Eph 2)

    2 comments:

    M. Anderson said...

    It's been so long since I've read L'Engle. Maybe Joy & I should read through the Wrinkle in Time series together in memoriam. I think I remember A Wind in the Door being one of my favorites as well.

    I did indeed intend to put a footnote in, though I forgot by the time that I had finished (obviously). It would have been something distancing myself from religious pluralism, straightforward relativism, yada yada.

    The main problem with leaving behind conservatism is mainly social for me, both within Trinity and within family. It's not really like I've fit in for a while, but I've least been trying to. Also, there seems to be a split between conservative churches (such as Baptist and EFCA) and liberal ones (such as PCUSA and Episcopalian) in this area, making it difficult to find a church where I don't cringe through entire sermons/Sunday school groups/etc. We've found a more emergent-style church which will do for the moment (though the demographic is uncomfortably young).

    Also, by leaving behind a more conservative position, I'm mainly leaving behind clearly defined stances on most issues as I'm not sure enough about them anymore. I'd lean toward, say, the Nicene creed, but I find that it's much easier to say something about concrete ethical practices than dogmatics. I'm finding Augustine's hermeneutic the only way I can cope with understanding Scripture (roughly, if the reading encourages faith, hope, & love, it's a good reading, though one shouldn't wantonly abuse the text). I guess I'd fit in somewhat with liberal Evangelical beliefs (as opposed to, say, Episcopalian-level liberal), but I'm more concerned at the moment with defending against the conservative elements around me.

    How's your program going for you? What are your plans (tentative though they may be) for the future?

    M. Anderson said...

    Thanks for the book recommendation. I'm getting it on ILL right now.